Friday 13 July 2012

Mid Century Modern Dresser Makeover

So, I'm a little obsessed with mid century modern design. Ok, a LOT obsessed. I just love the lines, the simplicity of form mixed with the fun details. Its clean, but not minimalist, not austere. I feel like it has a sense of humour. Its fun without being childish. And a good teak or walnut finish gets me really excited! I've been searching for a while for a great mid century dresser to complete my bedroom. You know me, I'm a bargain hunter, so I've been keeping my eyes on the local classifieds and in thrift stores for the perfect piece. I ended up finding a cool tallboy dresser listed on Kijiji for $40! It's big and solid and fairly well made. It has dovetail joinery in the drawers, and its original sliders all still work perfectly. The finish however needs some work. There are some scratches and marks, and overall I'm not a fan of the colour, but you have to look past these little details. Nothing a good sanding and a coat of stain or paint won't fix! So, for $40 and a little elbow grease, I'm going to have a great dresser that I can be proud to say that I refinished all by myself!

Here's how it looked originally:


As you can see, it has nice clean lines, cute little peg legs and interesting integrated drawer handles. What I plan to do is to stain the drawer fronts with a dark walnut stain, and paint the sides and top a creamy white. I'm doing this for 2 reasons. First of all, I like the two-tone look. I think it will draw attention to the neat drawer details. Secondly, painting the rest instead of staining will minimize the work involved. You don't need to sand as much if you're going to paint. Just a light scuff, and then prime and paint. It will be easier, faster and more forgiving (seeing as I'm not an expert finisher by any means). Here's a photo of my inspiration:


Conveniently, the blog where I found this inspiration piece also has a detailed tutorial on creating this look. So, on my day off, I loaded the drawers into my car and took them out to my dad's shop so I could borrow his tools. I spent a few hours sanding, and I have now completed step 1 of the project. The drawer fronts are sanded down, and ready to stain on my next day off. Feels good to get started on a big project! Here's how they look now:


Stay tuned, I will post updates as I complete more steps in the transformation of my new old dresser!

1 comment:

  1. That dresser is beautiful! Great lines! Hope the tutorial helped!

    Amber @ Wills Casa

    ReplyDelete