Wednesday 27 June 2012

DIY: Message Board

I'm always searching for functional objects that are also beautiful. Most people have a message board somewhere in their house. A place to write grocery lists, honey-do lists, and jot quick notes to your family. Most of the dry erase boards I've seen in stores are, lets face it, ugly. Utilitarian, simple, no style to speak of. So I decided to make my own. It's super simple and inexpensive too! I went to my local dollar store and picked up a picture frame, some scrapbook paper and a pack of dry erase markers. I cut the paper to fit in the frame and assembled it. That's it. You can use dry erase markers on pretty much any non-porous surface, so it doesn't matter if the frame has glass or plastic in front. Here's how mine turned out:



I used scrapbook paper, but you could also use wallpaper remnants, a favorite photo, a cool image clipped from a magazine, sheet music, or even fabric. Although, if you choose fabric, I would recommend taping or gluing it to a thin piece of cardboard so it doesn't slip down inside the frame. One final tip, I would use a fairly light colour scheme so that the marker shows up over it. Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment